A: The incident in question occurred in the UK in 2014. It was reported in the press that the injury was caused by HotDog, and our competitors have been using it to scare customers ever since. The injury, however, was NOT caused by HotDog and the hospital has provided this letter (PDF) exonerating HotDog in the incident.
How could HotDog be blamed in the media in the first place?
A burn occurred, so the first thought was that it was the warming system. A subsequent investigation by the UK’s Medical and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (“MHRA”), however, determined that HotDog was not at fault in the incident. The HotDog mattress passed every test to which UK regulators subjected it. They could not make the temperature rise without the controller alarming. Beyond that, the cause of the injury was not investigated once the hospital admitted criminal negligence. The facts actually show that it was more than likely an electrosurgical burn from a loose grounding electrode.
Could this happen at my hospital?
No. HotDog has numerous built-in safety features (hardware and software), as well as inherent physical properties of its semi-conductive fabric that prevent any type of significant injury of this nature from possibly occurring.
The most successful approach is to stagger the mattress and the grounding pad. Make sure the HotDog mattress’s sensor is in contact with the patient’s torso for best warming results.