Environmentally Friendly Patient Warming

Go Green with HotDog

HotDog Patient Warming WC77 Temperature Management System, Eco-Friendly

Reduce Waste

709.3 lbs (321.7 kg) of FAW waste is generated in one OR over the life of one comparable HotDog blanket. Including reduction in packaging, this leads to 99.99% less waste with HotDog!3

Check out our sustainability calculator >

Efficient

The HotDog Patient Warming System is 2.3x more efficient than Forced-Air Warming.1 It produces much less energy to achieve the same heat transfer per square area. HotDog warms above and below simultaneously.

Reduce Energy Consumption

The HotDog Patient Warming System uses around 80% less power compared to Forced-Air Warming.2 This leads to lower electricity costs and a lower environmental impact per procedure.

Versatile

Warm every patient, every time, for every specialty. HotDog has multiple uses resulting in minimal environmental impact.

Reusable

The HotDog Patient Warming System is reusable without the high level of consumable waste seen with Forced-Air Warming systems.

Life Cycle Pollution Impacts of Reusable Versus Disposable Patient Warming Blankets3

This Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) study was performed at Yale-New Haven Hospital with the goal of determining the environmental impacts of three different patient warming systems. LCA is an internationally standardized, science-based approach to quantify multiple environmental and public health impacts of a product or process over its entire life span, from raw materials extraction, transport, use and reuse, and end-of-life disposal.

“Using the reusable blanket in lieu of either of the disposable models provides a significant decrease in environmental impacts due to patient warming.4

Create a More Sustainable World

The electricity required for forced-air warming systems is ~20% of the total carbon footprint associated with anesthesia during surgery.5 With environmentally friendly patient warming, HotDog can reduce that by 80%. Furthermore, waste is reduced by 99.99%.

Reusable

Reusable means fewer shipments and lower carbon emissions by shipping vehicles across the globe.

Quiet

Forced-air warming creates noise pollution at levels up to 84 dBA. HotDog creates virtually no noise pollution.6

Less Pollution

The HotDog Temperature Management System can help reduce emissions by 80% in facilities that are currently using Forced-Air Warming.2

Sources
  1. Bayazit, Sparrow. Energy efficiency comp. of forced-air vs. resistance heating devices for periop. hypothermia management. Energy 2010; 35: 1211–5.
  2. Based on the comparison of Forced-air energy usage of 1000 watts and HotDog full body warming mattress. (HotDog uses between 100–200 watts per warming device connected to the system.)
  3. Based on one full body Forced-air warming blanket 7 oz (198g), 2.6 uses per surgery day (250/year) over 30 months, versus one B104 HotDog Full Body Warming Blanket.
  4. Smith-Mannschott, K.; et al. Life Cycle Pollution Impacts of Reusable Versus Disposable Patient Warming Blankets. Presented at American Society of Anesthesiologists Annual Meeting 2014. A3194
  5. Based on one full body Forced-air warming blanket 7 oz (198g), 2.6 uses per surgery day (250/year) over 30 months, versus one B104 HotDog Full Body Warming Blanket.
  6. McGain, F., Sheridan, N., Wickramarachchi, K., Yates, S., Chan, B., & McAlister, S. (2021, December 1). Carbon footprint of general, regional, and combined anesthesia for total knee replacements. American Society of Anesthesiologists. Retrieved February 4, 2022, from https://pubs.asahq.org/anesthesiology/article/135/6/976/117564/Carbon-Footprint-of-General-Regional-and-Combined
  7. Katz, J. D. (2014). Noise in the Operating Room. Anesthesiology, 121(4), 894–898. https://doi.org/10.1097/aln.0000000000000319.
  8. Forced-air Warming 750 peak energy consumption: 1500 watts per operating manual.
  9. Based on testing lower body blankets.